today was the first run i attempted since the marathon. i wanted to give my leg time to heal.
the bad news is i only got in 1.3 miles before i had to turn around and walk home.
when i got home, i googled I T band. sure enough, that's the exact pain i am having.
i'm so discouraged. i want to run the marathon so badly this week. i feel great other than this injury, i'm trained, the weather is perfect, and this is one of my favorite races.
planning to take the rest of the week off to see how i feel.
has anyone had experience with this type of injury before? how long was it until you were back to normal?
9 comments:
I'm so SO sorry to hear this! So disappointing and frustrating for you, I am sure.
I've never had ITB issues but I know it is fairly common among runners. I bet you get some great tips on recovery - good luck and feel better soon!
This is so common for distance runners. I too have IT band issues, that scream all the way down to my knee! Stretching, foam rolling, and Epsom salt baths help me a lot! Good luck!
So sorry to hear that Wendy! I had problems with my IT Band last year while training for Dam to Dam. Resting it and ice were my docs suggestions. Hope that you are able to run your race. Take the week off and give it a go on Saturday... if you can't finish - you can't finish... but at least you can start? :o) Miss you and hope we can catch up sometime soon! I'm running a 5k Saturday... don't see any marathons in my future though!
I've been injured, took off from running to rest and stood at the marathon start line wondering if I'd be able to run a mile. Finished that marathon!
Thanks, Tina! That gives me hope!
Wendy, I injured my IT band in college running indoor season one year. I saw a specialist who prescribed therapy (luckily stuff I could do at home) and I had to tape my knee while I practiced. I don't remember missing much, but it took most of the season before I could quit taping my knee (something about pulling the knee cap to the side relieved the pain. I can't remember why now).
1. see a chiropractor or physical therapist who does ART asap! ART is active release therapy and they might be able to make you feel better in a very short time
2. take an epson salt bath and foam roll, this will loosen the tightness a little as well.
GOOD LUCK!
Thanks everyone! I'm going to go for it, and see what happens.
Post a Comment