Sunday, July 12, 2009

10k+4

the 10k last night was so much fun and great weather for july! it was around 80 degrees w/average humidity. i went to the race with my friends sherri and amy. even though we weren't planning on running it together, we had fun hanging out before and after the race. i finished before they did, so when i was done i ran back to some of the lonelier spots on the course to cheer them on. this was sherri's second 10k and amy's first. it was so great to see them achieve their goals last night! they are both on a road to become healthier and stronger this year and they have been doing great.

sherri is training for her first 1/2 marathon in october. she has lost 72 lbs. since december and has been so dedicated to a complete lifestyle change. i love their perspective too - it's about taking care of the body God gave us, not about trying to gain attention for ourselves or elevate who we are. we talked about that a lot last night. it was good. God has blessed me with some wonderful friendships. it was such a great night!

the official results aren't posted yet, but i think my pace was around 9:20. definitely not a pr, but it didn't really matter to me much. i knew i still had to run 4 to get my long run of 10 in for the week.

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Congrats to you and your friends! Friends are such a gift from God! Love the pics!

Kim said...

What a fun way to get in a long run!

I remember well how valuable the encouragement was for me when I first began running. You are certainly a cherished asset to your friends :)

Kate said...

I loved the pics! I'm so proud of your friend. She is so blessed to have you as a friend too! I loved helping my friend run her first 10k last week that I want to be a running coach (if there is such a thing!). I got so much joy out of it and was so happy for her when she finished. It's so fun to help others achieve a healthy goal!

Much Ado said...

Love the pictures!! Looks like you are all having fun. Isn't it great to have friends to encourage each other in all aspects of life.