Wednesday, June 5, 2013

i finished the 20k this weekend! woo hoo!
it was a beautiful day to run, and i felt good almost the whole time. it wasn't a personal best, but i did what i set out to do. my goal was to take it easy and finish without any IT band pain. this run gave me hope that i may be able to run a full again this fall. usually i sign up right away so i can get the early bird discount, but this year i will sign up at the last minute, if i'm able to run. having an injury sure changes your perspective...

i'm also going to do my marathon training schedule different this year too. i usually follow one of hal higdon's schedules, but this year i'm going to run when i can and just get some longer runs in. by now i know how far i need to be able to go, and how many miles i should be doing in training. so, that's the plan for this summer. most of all, i want to enjoy the journey. sometimes i'm too focused on getting to the finish line.



3 comments:

Lisa said...

Nice job!! And I agree...that journey is the true gem :)

Keri said...

Way to go!

That is the same way I do my training. I know where I need to be long run wise and just fit in a few other runs during the week. It makes it way more enjoyable!

oldrunningfox. said...

I never followed a 'Plan' for any of my marathons, just went out and did whatever I felt like doing on the day - for the sheer pleasure of running. For my long runs I'd take off into the hills, enjoying all the sights and sounds and smells of the countryside. For speedwork, and to sharpen up, I ran lots of shorter preliminary races, from 10K up to 14 miles. I'd have hated being tied to a plan, and don't think I could have seen it through. It would have taken all the fun out of running!