the high school years: in 9th grade, i went out for track and was running 200's. i was way.too.slow to be running sprints!, but i still loved everything about track. in 10th grade, i moved to a new school, so i had a new coach. he noticed right away that i should be running distance. i started running 800's, 4x800 relay, 1500, and 3000. my favorite was the 1500. by my senior year, i was running it in under 5:30. i ran track every year and started running cross-country in 10th grade through 12th. cross-country was definitely my favorite sport. we ran 2 miles every meet and i remember one practice we had to run 6 miles. i thought i was going to die. At the same time, i still had dreams of running 26.2 miles someday!
the college years: during my first semester of college, i walked onto the cross-country team. i was an average runner and not very competitive, so the coach really could have cared less if i was there. i didn't really care about being on the team either, i just wanted to run. i loved running. i finished the season, but decided i was done with anything competitive. the following year, i ran my first 5K and i really loved it. i continued to run a few times a week, but usually nothing over 6 miles.
the post college years: in 1998, i met my friend kelly who also had a passion for running and wanted to train for a marathon. we started training on january 11, 1999 (i still remember the exact date because it was such a big day in my life!). we trained in every adverse condition imaginable...rain, sleet, snow, and ice. i remember looking in the mirror after a run and laughing because our eyebrows and eyelashes were snow covered and frozen. we finished the marathon on may 2nd, 1999. i crossed the finish line in 5 hr 8 minutes, which ended up being right under 5 hours for my actual time. it was a great day! but when i was done i said, "it's out of my system, i won't ever do that again." in 2000, we had our first child and running took a back seat - as it should have.
in 2002, we had our second child and i was even busier.
i ran a few races, but wasn't very consistent in running from week to week.
in 2005, we had our third child.
it was the same pattern - i ran a few races, but wasn't very consistent in running from week to week.
in 2007, i decided to start training for my 2nd marathon. it wasn't out of my system afterall. in fact, about a week after completing my first marathon, i was dreaming about running another one. i finished my 2nd marathon in october of that year. i ran it in almost the exact same time as my first. i was really proud of that, considering i had three kids, trained, and ran the whole thing by myself.
today: now that my kids are a little older, i have been able to run more consistently. in 2009, i ran 2 - 10k's, a 20K (12.4) in may, a 1/2 marathon, a 7 mile cross-country race, and finished my 3rd full marathon (chicago) - totaling over 1,000 miles for the year.
this year, i am planning to run 3 - 1/2's, 2 - 10k's, and possibly another full. i'm hoping to run more in 2010 than i did in 2009. i am excited for all that God is going to teach me through the miles and i am thankful for the gift of running. i know it is something i may not always be able to do.
and, here are some random things about me.
7 comments:
Wow, thanks Wendy for sharing your journey. It was wonderful to get to know you better. I loved running very early also. I ran track in school but was more of the sprinter type. I hated long distances, but now, that's much more my speed=)
Do you still run races with your friend Kelly?
With the ages of your kids its amazing you are able to train like you are. I know how many excuses to not run and how demanding having young children can be. But we need to be healthy as moms and I'm so happy for you that you are training for those races. Thanks again for sharing this piece of your life with us.
BTW I like the blogs new look.
Thanks, Terri!
Kelly moved, so we don't run together anymore. :(
I'm praying for a running partner, but it looks like I have several friends that are willing to bike by me while I do my long runs, which is wonderful!
I loved reading this about you Wendy! That is so great that are about to run your 3rd marathon! The marathon intrigues me, but I think I will stick with shorter distances.
I can't wait to read about your marathon training and all. I'm glad you are able to do that! It is challenging with children...esp younger ones, but like Terri said, you are being a healthy mom and a good example to your kids!
Loved reading your running journey, very inspirational. I am thinking of posting my story on a few posts, when I get the time! :) I also admire your for fitting in your running - it is so important to be strong and healthy. Once we adopt, I'll see then how my running will fit in, you never know until the time comes how its all going to pan out.
Thanks! I definitely couldn't do it without the support of my husband. He is really good about watching the kids while I run.
loved reading your journey! marathon dreams in high school! wow! :) i definitely remember thinking how "ridiculously" long 5-mile runs were in hs xc.
thanks for stopping by my blog! i am adding you to my google reader :)
Good luck in Chicago! What a wonderful journey you have had! Running is such a great gift and you can do it anywhere!
Post a Comment