Wednesday, September 15, 2010

well, here it is wednesday and i've been able to run 2 days this week already. woo hoo! it has been so nice. yesterday i ran 6 miles, which is amazing for me to get time to run that long on a weeknight. tonight, i ran 4.5 with a friend. we both agreed that it's harder to bounce back now that we're 35!

i don't think i've mentioned it, but school is going really well! this time last year i was already feeling burnout.
this year the kids are complaining less, and they have been motivated to get things done so they have time for other things in the afternoon. they also seem more excited about learning in general. i know God has been teaching me too. i have more patience, and i've figured out some of the things that work and don't work for us. i still have a lot to learn, of course, but i really love the changes we've made. some of the changes have been simple little things. for example, i started giving each child a checklist of what needs to be done for the day (their chores and their school work is on the list). i have been amazed at how motivating it has been for them to get everything checked off for the day! hopefully that will continue...

we're looking forward to a trip to the apple orchard this week.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I think you're so amazing for doing homeschool. There may be a time when we do it, it just isn't here yet. And that's great about your running so far this week. Sometimes it gets really hard to fit it all in! I wish we lived closer and could be running buddies!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I like checking off items on a to-do list, too. Glad you got some running in and that school is going well!

Kate said...

the list helps so much! i am telling you, it gets easier now that they are in this stage but the teaching gets harder later!!! it all balances out. each year i learn more about me too! i am so glad it's going well for you all!! God is sooo good. :)

Unknown said...

Homeschool has been going great for us but the last few days it's been a little crazy! But thank you for sharing how it's going because it inspires me! I love you friend! I wish I was there to run with you! oh and maybe when I am not 8 months preggers!

Beth said...

I'm glad you are getting some run time in and that school is off to a great start! I'm sure it's hard work but I bet you all get so much out of it and are closer as a results. Glad you are figuring out what works. :)

Kim said...

Such a growth process! Kate is right about the progression with teaching ;) I love Samuel's age even more because I know how fleeting it is to get your hands messy doing "school" when I have teens who can hardly pull their nose out of their books ;)